Sarah's Travel Blog

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Just finished 4 days of exploring Auckland - my first 4 days in NZ!

Was a nice enough city, very quiet compared to Australian or English ones, I was wandering round the high street on a Saturday and it was almost empty. Which is nice really, no crazy people bumping into you or trying to mug you :)

I am trying to save money at the moment, so everything I have done so far has been free, including a free tour I got when I bought my Kiwi Experience bus pass in Oz, which was pretty handy, as it meant I got out and about to see more of Auckland that I would have done on foot.

Auckland is pretty mad really, it is built on top of about 48 volcanoes, and you can still go up the ones that still exist today, although now they look like nice grassy hills. I went to the museum and was pleased to discover that another one could pop up at any moment, which would be the ultimate fun for people who live there :) I even went in a fake house which simulated what would happen if a new volcano did decide to turn up. All in all the best museum I have ever been to, because I am geeky, and found the whole volcano section really interesting.

I've now started my Kiwi Experience bus thingy, which means I can hop on and hop off round both islands, although sometimes it seems more like a tour, as they are constantly wanting to book people into certain accommodation and on certain tours/activities. Tonight I am going against the grain and am staying in a hostel different to the 33 other people on my bus. Quite proud of myself really, as this one is cheaper, and run by some very nice people. Also down the road from the local beach which has proper LOTR scenery going on :)

Tomorrow I am off to Routura, where I am told there is a lot of bubbling mud, and a Maori performance for us tourists, which sounds like fun :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home